We are committed to providing quality legal services to our clients. As part of this commitment, we ensure compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act).
Personal Information is any information or opinion about a reasonably identifiable individual whether true or not and whether recorded in material form or not.
We may collect Personal Information such as your name, contact information, billing information and employment details. If you apply for a job with us, we may collect Personal Information such as your education and employment details.
Collection of Personal Information
We only collect Personal Information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, the functions and activities of our legal services. We usually collect Personal Information directly from you or your authorised representatives but may also collect Personal Information from government agencies and third parties.
The purposes for which we collect Personal Information are those purposes directly and indirectly related to providing legal services and the conduct of our business.
Use and disclosure of Personal Information
We hold, use and disclose Personal Information for the purposes for which it was collected and related purposes including:
- to provide legal services and for purposes directly and indirectly related to providing legal services;
- to manage our relationship with clients;
- subject to our professional obligations, to any person where required in connection with our provision of legal services (such as regulatory authorities);
- on a confidential basis to external service providers so they can provide financial, administrative or other services in connection with the operation of our business;
- to provide clients with information about legal developments, events or services that may interest them;
- to facilitate our internal business operations including to fulfil our legal and professional obligations;
- as permitted under the APPs; and
- with your consent.
We do not use or disclose your Personal Information overseas.
Security of Personal Information
We take such steps as are reasonably necessary to ensure that Personal Information we collect, use or disclose is stored securely in electronic or hardcopy form.
Requesting access to Personal Information
If requested, we will provide access to the Personal Information we hold about you. Access may be refused in certain circumstances.
Correcting Personal Information
We will take such steps, if any, as are reasonably necessary in the circumstances to correct any Personal Information we hold about you to ensure it is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
If requested, we will ensure the same with regard to Personal Information we have disclosed to third parties.
If an eligible data breach occurs, we will notify affected persons and the Privacy Commissioner and make recommendations about how affected persons can protect themselves.
Requests and complaints
If you have a request or are concerned we have breached our obligations under the APPs, please contact us by phone on 08 8429 1400 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will consider any complaint and respond within 30 days.